CAS Championships – Day 2 Wrap

By Peter Rowe

U17 Schoolboys March On In Quest For Schoolboys CAS Title

WA 32 defeat NT 6

WA Under-17s continued their winning run at the Combined Affiliated States Championships in NSW on Saturday, with a comprehensive 32-6 victory over NT.

Rockingham Sharks youngster Quintin Coulter scored his third try of the tournament after just two minutes to set WA on their way before North Beach Sea Eagles junior Cody Wynne extended the lead.


Backrower Tom Leeder (Rockingham Sharks) added another try after 14 minutes but the NT found space to score and close the gap.


Winger Dermott Arthy from the Ellenbrook Rabbitohs took advantage of superb strip by Jesse Inall (Joondalup Giants) to add a fourth try just before the break.


South Perth’s Khan Pokere had his kicking boots on as he slotted the conversion from the sidelines  and  minutes into the second half Coulter set up Joondalup’s Leon White for another score, converted again by Pokere.


Solid defence from WA kept the NT at bay late in the second half as Pokere wrapped up the win two minutes from time with another four-pointer.


The WA youngsters will face Victoria tomorrow (Sunday) in the CAS championship decider.

WA Men’s Do Enough Against Scrappy Northern Territory

WA 26 defeat NT 16

Jaylen Grey’s hat-trick of tries earned WA a hard fought 26-16 victory over the Northern Territory on day two of the Combined Combined Affiliated States Championships in NSW on Saturday.


But the North Beach winger could miss the championships decider against Victoria tomorrow after he copped a late hit when scoring his third and WA’s final try of the day.


Fellow Sea Eagle Kade McDonald kicked the penalty resulting from the incident as the Black and Golds prepare to defend their title against a Victorian side who had beaten South Australia 56-0 earlier in the day.


A game that saw both sides lead, with both giving away a series of penalties, eventually swung WA’s way with ten minutes left on the clock when South Perth’s Jarrad Smith dived over from dummy half to put his side back in front. 


Earlier the Titans had come from behind to cancel out a Grey score and take a 10-4 lead before fullback Bailey Millar scored on the back of an NT error that allowed him to power through down the left edge.


Millar’s across-field kick six minutes later found Grey on the edge for his second as WA ended the first half four points ahead.


But a series of high tackle penalties early in the second half allowed NT back into the contest before Smith and Grey sealed victory.