North Beach Sea Eagles Stun Lions

North Beach Sea Eagles provided another twist to the Harvey Norman Premiership race when they beat form side South Perth Lions 12 to 6 in another classic game of rugby league between the two clubs.

Despite the Sea Eagles losing five eighth Craig Phillis and half back Matt Doeg before the game and with full back Tyron Cranston still away, they played out of their skins for 80 minutes to go straight into the Grand Final.

Neither side scored until the 67th minute with the crowd waiting for the forward pack of South Perth to break open the game, but it did not happen, both side’s defenses took attack after attack to keep the game on edge.

It was North Beach who scored first with a last tackle kick from best afield Mick Kestell into the try zone, that was taken cleanly by Will Hall for a try which he then converted.

Within 3 minutes South Perth pushed over with the kick leveling the score, and for the next ten minutes both clubs slugged it out again.

The game had errors and penalties from both sides at telling times, but it was not a scrappy game, it was the pressure being applied and the quick plays being made that forced them to happen.

With just two minutes to go North Beach were able to get within 30 metres and went for the field goal, but with pressure on the kick, Kestell sprayed the attempt and the ball dropped live. South Perth failed to take the ball cleanly and Matthew Boyce was able to touch the ball down for a try.

With less than a minute to go Hall again converted.

North Beach coach Jamie Rodgers was lost for words.

“They were outstanding tonight, we lost our starting halves, and to their credit everyone put their hands up and played some great football.”

Along with Kestell, veteran Ben Dickson was outstanding for the Sea Eagles. Eddie Proudler and Clint Fraser were among the Lions best. But for both sides there were few players who did not put in.

In the Elimination Final Rockingham Sharks finished the season for Fremantle Roosters winning 36 to 22.

The Sharks jumped to an 18 nil lead after the first 20 minutes and then dominated for the final 20 minutes to win easily in the end.

Fremantle struggled to get their hands on the ball early, but worked their way back into the game going to the lead 22 – 18 after 63 minutes, but were unable to hold on after that.

Rockingham then showed the fight that put them into the finals and broke the game open with three tries in eight minutes to strangle any hope Fremantle had.

Best players for the Sharks were Luke Faulkner and Caleb Reedy, with James Aspin and Brad Gibson the best for Fremantle.

Rockingham will now meet South Perth Lions in the Preliminary Final.

All Game Results
First Grade
North Beach Sea Eagles 12 – South Perth Lions 6
Rockingham Sharks 36 – Fremantle Roosters 22

Reserve Grade
South West Warriors 34 – Rockingham Sharks 22
South Perth Lions 38 – Fremantle Roosters 14

Under 18
Joondalup Giants 24 – Rockingham Sharks 20

Fremantle Roosters 22 – Joondalup Giants 0
North Beach Sea Eagles 16 – Rockingham Sharks 14