After confirmation today NRL WA will introduce the RISE Talent Development program in 2021 after it was cancelled in 2020 due to the COVID – 19 pandemic, in a real bonus the RISE program will next year be offered to both boys & girls aged 13 to 15 years of age.
In 2020 NRL WA committed to the implementation of the NRL Player Development Framework as it is vital that all players are provided with access to development through accredited coaching and tailored programs for boys and girls
NRL WA Operations Manager Tony Crowe said our motivation was the desire to ensure players are given time to mature before representative selection and potential key long term decisions were made.
“Years of representative age group data has shown that representative teams have traditionally selected a greater percentage of players born in the first half of the year, This trend is not consistent with the general population, nor the NRL playing population, highlighting that selection is often impacted by the physical maturity of players.”
NRL WA will now have the opportunity to identify and offer personal development opportunities for coaches and players on fundamental skills, fitness and self-awareness before selectors come knocking at under 15 level via the junior state league and national championships.
“The impacts of embedding technical, physical and emotional capabilities in players during formative years is critical in ensuring players are ready for the competitive demands they will experience in representative pathway competitions as they aspire towards tier 2 level football and the NRL,” Crowe said.
RISE has been developed by elite coaches Mal Meninga and Neil Henry with input from leading experts in skill acquisition and player development.
The RISE program will consist of a five-session training program and weekend of competitive games at the completion of the training window.
Central to the program is the RISE coach accreditation program. All coaches who are appointed to work with players will attend workshops where they will be mentored by Neil Henry.
The RISE Staff Application forms are now live. These can be accessed by visiting www.playrugbyleague.com/rise/coach
The application form includes the positions of:
- Head Coach
- Development Coach
- Physical Development Coach
- Sports Trainer
The RISE Program also offers development opportunities for both coaching and support staff.
Within the program,
- The Head Coach will coordinate the technical and tactical delivery of the program whilst mentoring Development Coaches.
- Development Coaches are aspirational coaches who wish to improve their knowledge and experience as a coach.
- The Physical Development Coach will oversee the delivery of the Physical Development program. Successful applicants will need to have at least an ASCA Level 1 Strength & Conditioning qualification.
- Sports Trainers will coordinate first aid and injury management. Successful applicants will need to have at least a Level 1 Sports Trainer Accreditation.
- Program Managers will liaise with coaching staff and league staff to assist with the coordination of the program.
Coach Development Program
The Coach Development Program is aimed at aspirational coaches who wish to increase their capacity as a coach. Coaches will gain a greater insight into age-appropriate athlete development, ecological coaching practices, physical preparation, injury prevention and player well-being.
At the end of the program coaches will obtain the RISE Development Coach Accreditation.
Coaches will be required to complete the following steps:
- Online Module: Understanding Player Development Online Module: Coaching to achieve Participation, Personal Development & Performance.
- Coach Induction: Seminar introducing technical, tactical, physical, socioemotional components of the program.
- Program Participation & Delivery Mentoring Coach Assessments
The Program dates and times are yet to be confirmed with a May/June window currently under review with an announcement and player applications opening early January 2021, all sessions will be based out of the NRL WA Training & Education Centre located at Thomas Oval, Medina
Further information can be requested via email email@example.com.