WA Coach Darren Shaw has his sights set securing on a ninth straight Combined Affiliated States Championship Title when his side travel to Brisbane for the three-day tournament between June 8-10.
Having claimed 12 of the last 13 titles, including the last eight straight, Shaw hopes to continue WA’s stretch of dominance.
“We’ve got something to uphold and make sure we come home with the trophy again,” he said.
Despite outscoring their opponents 96-14 in last year’s tournament, the Rockingham Sharks Coach says he is wary of the competition ahead.
“We certainly won’t be taking anyone lightly,” he said.
“We’ve got South Australia first and we want to put a marker down on Day One.
“Apparently Victoria have always given WA a pretty good run.”
Having Coached Rockingham to the Minor Premiership in 2017, Shaw jumped at the chance of coaching a representative side.
“It was something I definitely wanted to do and I’m very grateful for the opportunity,” he said.
“The opportunity to work with all the players from different clubs – they’re very driven and an absolute pleasure (to work with).”
When asked about who he is most looking forward to working with, Shaw struggled to narrow it down to just one player.
“I’m a big fan of Bjorn Crotty, I think he does an amazing job down the middle for Fremantle – he has that ability to play it tough and also has some ball skills,” he said.
“You’ve got Gibbo (Brad Gibson) there who’s a hard man and likes to play it tough. I could go on all day.”
Gibson is one of just six returning players from last year, alongside Andrew Jeffrey, Delane Edwards, Benjamin Both, Macey Howarth and Scott Jones.
“There are quite a few new players in the squad – a few younger blokes which is good for the future,” Shaw said.
WA face off against South Australia in their opening game before tackling Northern Territory on Day Two and finishing the competition with a battle with Victoria.
- Josh Toole (North Beach Sea Eagles)
- Alan Cowen (Fremantle Roosters)
- Logan Barclay (Rockingham Sharks)
- Tevita Pomale (Rockingham Sharks)
- Tyler Thomas (South Perth Lions)
- Eddie Proudler (South Perth Lions)
- Delane Edwards (Fremantle Roosters)
- Brad Gibson (Fremantle Roosters)
- Andrew Jeffery (Rockingham Sharks)
- Nathan Searle (Joondalup Giants)
- Scott Jones (South Perth Lions)
- Duane Butler (Fremantle Roosters)
- Bjorn Crotty (Fremantle Roosters)
- Jordan Stringer (Fremantle Roosters)
- Cairo Takarangi (North Beach Sea Eagles)
- Mason Hiko (South Perth Lions)
- Mitchell Kerr (Fremantle Roosters)
- Julian Wilson Wylie (Rockingham Sharks)
- Kani Solomon (North Beach Sea Eagles)
- Tarin Katu (Fremantle Roosters)
Coach – Darren Shaw
Assistant Coach – Warren Smiles
Assistant Coach – Sean Manning
Head Trainer – Tone Merrick
Manager – Scott Swadel