WARL 2012 Harvey Norman Premiership wrap-up and Grand Finals results

North Beach hold out Fremantle to win Grand Final

In one of the best Grand Finals in recent times, North Beach Sea Eagles took out the 2012 Harvey Norman Premiership 17 to 10 winners over Fremantle Roosters. Both sides could have taken home the title, when they treating the crowd to a tough defensive encounter that went down to the last minute.

The last game of the season gave everything it promised and showcased the new standard of rugby league in this state which has benchmarked the future of the game.

Minor Premiers North Beach came into the game determined to win their first premiership since 2007 after a disappointing few years, and Fremantle in their first Grand Final appearance since they won in 1997, did not let down their club or fans.

It was Fremantle though who dominated possession in the first ten minutes of the game, but North Beach then wrested back control and went over the line first at the 17 minute mark when Matt Doeg found a hole from the ruck.

Ben McCrone answered at 25 minutes and with Fremantle’s conversion leveled the score at 6 all. With two minutes left on the clock, Ryan Dickson took a field goal from 15 metres to give the Sea Eagles a 7 to 6 half time lead.

They extended the lead to 13 to 6 at the sixty minute mark when Ben Taylor stepped up to take a loose kick deep into the Roosters’ half.

The advantage was cut back to three points with Blane Edwards scoring from a full field set. For the last eight minutes the crowd watched the game from the edge of their seats. It was with a minute remaining on the clock it was Ben Taylor scored his second try for the half to seal the win.

The Ron Hudson Medal for the best player went to Sea Eagles’ Kieran Tarrant who really stepped up in the second half. Matt Doeg and Ryan Dickson also played well for North Beach. Sam Graham and Josh Essex were Fremantle’s best.

“We knew they would be ready to play, and so were we,”  said North Beach coach Ryan Gundry.

“Not playing a lot in the last six weeks, we were out on our feet in the first half. At half time the question was asked, how much did you want to win the game, and they dug in and showed us”

“We stuck to our season’s plan of allowing no more than a try per half and it gave us the reward we wanted.”

Lee Toon-Poynton was rightly proud of the efforts of his Fremantle charges.

“We had the right game plan and we executed it really well. With a couple of breaks at the right time we could have won, but the ball did not quite fall the right way when we needed. It was disappointing, but we were part of a great game of football,” he said.

People wanting to see the game can tune in next Saturday and Sunday to West TV at 5.30pm to see the official replay of the Grand Final.

Grand Finals Results – All Grades

First Grade: North Beach Sea Eagles 17 – Fremantle Roosters 10

Premier Grade: Willagee Bears 42 – Fremantle Roosters 0

Under 18: Kalamunda Bulldogs 40 – Rockingham Sharks 14

Women’s LeagueTag: Kalamunda Bulldogs 8 – Fremantle Roosters 0

Under 16: Rockingham Sharks 34 – Kalamunda Bulldogs 16

Under 14: Joondalup Giants 28 – Rockingham Sharks 20

Under 13: Rockingham Sharks 18 – Fremantle Roosters 16

Under 12: North Beach Sea Eagles 30 – Rockingham Sharks 18

Under 11: South Perth Lions 36 – Joondalup Giants 6

Girls’ LeagueTag: Joondalup Giants 14 – Kalamunda Bulldogs 12